I was not really happy with the first version of my telehandler, the design was nice but it performed quite badly, especially the weak propulsion and poor suspension. For some reason the tires almost tore off the axles when it drove a meter or so and it looked like the suspension was really weak, which it wasn’t.
With the Grand Prix Racer (42000) set a new suspension system was introduced. I decided to have another go at building a Telehandler. I tried to keep the design as far as possible but reworked the entire chassis and used a PF L-motor for propulsion and the PF Servo for steering.
- Stronger motor for propulsion
- The chassis is two studs thinner
- Completely reworked suspension
- Almost twice as long telescopic boom
Here is a specific blog entry regarding the suspension.
- 4WD, PF L-motor
- 4 wheel steering, PF Servo Motor
- Boom life, L-motor
- Telescopic boom, M-motor
- Bucket tilt, M-motor
- Quick coupler
- Pendular rear axle
I am really proud about how small but still robust I could make the chassis. In the picture you can see the entire chassis housing:
- 2x PF L-motor
- 1x PF M-motor
- 1x PF Servo motor
- 1x Battery Pack
- 3x PF IR Receivers
However, It performed almost worse than the first version and I can’t get why. The tires do everything they can to rip apart which in turn affects the steering and propulsion. I am almost in doubt whether it is possible to build a 4 wheel driven and steered chassis with pendular suspension..
More pictures are available in the youtube clip.